Student's Guide to Voluntary and Social Work under the Umbrella of QRCS
Over more than 40 years, Qatar Red Crescent Society (QRCS) has never ceased to fulfil its mission as a volunteering charity organization that seeks to serve the Qatari and other communities, working to improve the lives of vulnerable people and enhance their socioeconomic, health, and cultural conditions.
One key dimension of QRCS's vision is to enrich the knowledge and skills of society members, especially the youth; to contribute to the creation of new generations with a sense of responsibility, leadership, preparedness, and proactivity to help others and deal with emergencies or risks; and to encourage social integration and acceptance of other people's differences among society members of multicultural backgrounds. To that end, in cooperation with the Ministry of Education and Higher Education, QRCS has launched the "QRCS School Program", an innovative, ambitious initiative to provide school students, teachers, and administrative staff with practical skills and awareness regarding emergency preparedness, disaster response, risk reduction, first aid, health education, social harmony, and open-mindedness.
In this guide, you will find detailed information on the aspects of this initiative, which are the main scopes of work for the QRCS School Program. Under the supervision of the Ministry of Education and Higher Education, the schools can commission for their students training courses in those fields, delivered by QRCS's specialists and medical professionals.
We look forward to working together towards a well-educated youth, protecting the school and local communities against malicious ideologies, and building a generation of awareness and modern lifestyle.
- What Is QRCS School Program?
The QRCS School Program is an innovative training scheme to provide school students, teachers, and administrative staff with practical skills and awareness regarding emergency preparedness, disaster/accident response, risk reduction, first aid, health education, social harmony, and open-mindedness.
As a leading humanitarian provider, QRCS's core vision is to mobilize the power of society and work hard to help those in need. It is inspired by the human development pillar of Qatar National Vision 2030, which focuses on advancing the younger generations, promoting a national ethos and loyalty, and establishing a world-class educational system that builds the capacity of Qatari students and strengthens their skills and motivation. Through a combination of education and training, the end product will be a reliable and resourceful generation that is able and willing to contribute to the welfare of its own society.
QRCS boasts an active role in the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, and it serves as an auxiliary to the State of Qatar in its humanitarian and social efforts, both locally and internationally. The vision of the QRCS School Program is to create qualified teams of students interested in humanitarian and community service. The target audience of the program are the students, teachers, and administrative staff of public and private schools across the country.
The goal of the QRCS School Program is to supply the know-how to deal with emergencies and unexpected situations. To that end, one-to-one drills and formalized guidelines are given to the beneficiaries, in order to make them better aware and capable of risk reduction techniques and ultimately become helpful society members.
The QRCS School Program aims at:
- Supporting the educational process and investing in youth development by providing theoretical and practical training in first aid, risk reduction, and social integration; and
- Creating a cadre of trained students and student leaders to ensure the precaution and protection against disasters and dangers.
- Mechanism (Formation of QRCS School Teams)
- In coordination with school management and parents, the school coordinator nominates 25 students to form a QRCS School Team.
- To ensure maximum benefit, it is recommended to keep the same team members, so that they can attend all the drills.
- The QRCS School Program offers dynamic workshops, theoretical lectures, and practical exercises at schools.
- The training sessions are delivered by experts and specialists from QRCS.
- Roles and Responsibilities
School (coordinator or specialist):
- Nominating students and forming of QRCS School Team
- Facilitating training
- Communicating and coordinating with the QRCS School Program trainer/coordinator
QRCS School Program trainer:
- Administering theoretical and practical training
- Communicating and coordinating with the school
QRCS School Team members:
- Attending theoretical and practical training
- Participating in first aid and risk reduction scenarios
- Representing the QRCS School Team when needed, providing assistance and guidance, and working towards an injury-free school environment