Objective of the School’s Red Crescent
- Enhancing the value of volunteering in the student's behavior and integrating him into a global charity
- Building active student leaders and staff qualified to work in the humanitarian field
- Promoting awareness and social solidarity and instilling a spirit of social responsibility and helping of others inside and outside the school
- Investing in the energies of students and their talents to participate positively in activities and support the educational process
- Protecting the school and local community from disasters and hazards and work to protect the environment
"Social integration and promotion of values"
Human is an individual living within a community, and this community has several levels starting from the individual itself and then expanding to include the family then the school then the local community then the surrounding environment as a whole. The social integration program offers a series of educational lectures to school students to increase their ability to communicate with these various social circles, enrich their personalities with social values and positive qualities that ultimately make them useful members to their society.
The Program Axes
Provide young people with universal values and principles such as coexistence, solidarity and social harmony
- Enhance psychological characteristics such as adjustment, balance of personality and behavioral discipline
- Develop teamwork, flexibility, respect for others and accept differences
- Integrate students having social or health problems with their peers
- Provide young people with standards of behavior and attitudes that enable them to conform and engage in social life
- Fight negative behaviors such as violence, bullying, individualism and egoism
2. Health Program
“I am a Paramedic”
This program aims at educating and training students on good health skills and habits and correcting some of their health misconceptions to ensure that they can maintain their lives and the lives of their families in a healthy and safe manner. This program is divided into two main parts:
First: First aid training
By providing training workshops and lectures that explain how to use first-aid and CPR skills correctly, provide initial response to help and mitigate the impact of emergency situations as much as possible, and maintain the patient's life and the stability of the injury until medical assistance arrives.
Second: Health Education
It is an information process aimed at educating schoolchildren about adopting healthy lifestyles and good practices in order to raise the community's health level by identifying common diseases through:
- Awareness lectures in various fields such as food, hygiene, transitional diseases and prevention methods, household safety, oral and dental health, etc.
- Training workshops on how to practice healthy habits
- Health campaigns and exhibitions in partnership with schools in accordance with the general health strategy
- Awareness advertising campaigns between the Red Crescent and the school (Roll Up, brochures, etc.)
3.Risk Reduction Program
The Safe School program has been a major success over the past years in spreading the culture of disaster risk reduction and road safety in Qatar and raising awareness of the importance of preparedness and responsiveness. The program covers schools under the Ministry of Education and Higher Education. It Targets the following categories:
1. Students of schools at all grades
2. Teaching and administrative staff
3. Parents of students (through students themselves)
1. Preparation Phase:
- Define the number of students, administrative and teaching staff, sick people, disabled persons and the number of classes in the school where the program shall be implemented.
- Qatar Red Crescent Disaster Risk Reduction Team shall conduct an exploratory field visit to the school the day before the event to clarify the guidelines for safe access to the assembly points as well as the danger zones around the buses.
2. Implementation Phase:
- Theoretical implementation through various lectures aimed at students and administrative and teaching staff and then practical exercise for all; this is done throughout the entire school day excluding rest time.
- Distribution of scientific materials and manuals necessary for students and administrative and teaching staff.
4.International Humanitarian Law Program
The culture of volunteering and charitable work is only complemented by a degree of awareness of universally recognized human rights and general provisions of international humanitarian law governing humanitarian action in various sectors. Therefore, Qatar Red Crescent organizes a series of educational lectures and training workshops on various topics related to this aspect, focusing on the children and women rights and their connection to the law and Islamic law.
Under the title "Let’s explore International Humanitarian Law," young students are introduced to the provisions of international humanitarian law in a simplified way, based on child-centered stimulation and education for no more than an hour, with their participation in an active way instead of only being passive recipients. They also participate by presenting their drawings in a competition between students.
It includes lectures on International Humanitarian Law (IHL) but a little more detailed then the primary school lectures in terms of content and presentation. In addition, a competition is organized among all participating schools about the best drawing or essay that embodies the aspects of IHL jurisdiction.
It includes training workshops on IHL in a more advanced way of the previous schools, and ultimately a competition is organized among all participating schools on the best research seminar about IHL.
Medical Services (First Aid)
Under the partnership agreement signed by Qatar Red Crescent with Qatar Olympic Committee in 2004, the Red Crescent has provided medical services in all the sport facilities of the Commission, including the Golf Club, Equestrian Club, Khalifa International Tennis and Squash Complex, Losail International Circuit, Racing Club for cars and motorcycles and the Second GCC Fencing Championship.
With regard to the medical service in the stadiums, Crescent paramedics and their equipped vehicles were present in more than 48 events and sports championships of various national sports federations, as well as Qatar International powerboat racing Championship, which is of global interest.
This is in addition to the events that the Crescent has fully secured: it participated in the National Day and Sport Day celebrations in Qatar by providing 21 ambulances and 4 field clinics distributed throughout crowd gathering areas, ready to intervene in the event of any injuries and provide first aid for the injured people or transfer them to the hospital for treatment.
Among the medical services offered by the Red Crescent are first aid centers distributed in various commercial centers such as Villaggio, Hyatt Plaza and Aspire Zone. These centers have received at least 1500 injuries of varying types and severity, all of which have been treated with the utmost professionalism and attention.
One of the most important medical projects of the Red Crescent is “Aspetar”, the first orthopaedic and sports medicine hospital in the region, officially accredited by FIFA in 2008. It has centers of excellence in sports medicine, sports science, orthopedics and rehabilitation. This project has covered more than 36 events with a budget of over QR 1.6 million. The most important of these events was the friendly match between Real Madrid and Paris Saint-Germain.
In addition, Qatar Red Crescent attaches great importance to the in-service training of the working staff in order to raise their competence and provide them with modern equipment and technologies in the field of medical intervention in emergency situations to offer high quality services that are compatible with the cultural and technological progress witnessed by the world, and in particular the State of Qatar.
The most important areas where the Red Crescent medical staff are trained are the Immediate Life Support Courses (ILS), International Trauma Life Support (ITLS), Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS), Disaster Management courses, Sports Medicine courses, Multiple injuries handling courses, firefighting courses, ambulance driving courses, and lectures in medical ethics.
In the area of emergency and crisis training, Qatar Red Crescent medical and ambulance services have been actively involved in the 10-day disaster management camp at the Marine Scouts Camp in AL Khor with the participation of 300 volunteers from inside and outside Qatar, and Eagle Resolve exercise organized by the National Defense and Crisis Management Center, to increase the readiness of the armed forces and civil society organizations through friction with the armed forces from several Gulf and international countries.
The medical sector uses a 24-hour advanced system of communication with ambulances, which allows to Follow-up and direct the ambulances movement so that reports and emergencies can be responded to in record time, especially in critical life-threatening situations.